BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES DECEMBER 7, 2022
Board Members Present
George DeMartz President
Greg Boggs Vice President
Bill Jones Treasurer
Norris “Syd” Sydnor
Lisa Dommes Past President
Board Members Absent
Shannon Turner Secretary
Call to Order
George DeMartz called the meeting to order at 7:10 p.m., noting the presence of a quorum.
Reading of Mission Statement
The Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association (MABA) is a social organization representing BBQ competitors, backyard cooks, BBQ judges and others united by love of America’s cuisine–BBQ!
MABA provides information to its members about BBQ and the BBQ industry, facilitates social events and contests and serves as the vehicle for camaraderie amongst BBQ enthusiasts in the Mid-Atlantic region.
George DeMartz read the Mission Statement.
Approval of Minutes
Travis Murphy moved to approve the minutes of the November 2, 2022 Board Meeting as presented. Theresa Bell seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
Committee Reports and Action Item Discussion
- Publications Committee – Chris Schriver provided an update on social media activity.
- Website/Technology Committee – Chris Schriver reported on recent website updates. Additional members-only pages have been added to the website, and additional membership benefits will be added as they are finalized.
- Finance Committee – Bill Jones reviewed the October and November financial reports.
- Banquet Committee – Jon Wade and Mac Talber will be collaborating on the catering and menu. Donations will be sought for the contest raffle, cooker raffle and general raffle. Establishing sponsorship levels was discussed. Trophies will need to be ordered soon to ensure they are ready for the banquet.
- Nominations Committee – Lisa Dommes reported that the election is underway. Additional social media posts will be done near the middle of the election and near the end to prompt members to vote. To date, 33% of the membership has voted. Participation generally runs from 45-50% of the membership.
- Membership – Greg Boggs provided an update on the Bonfire spirit wear site. A link to the site has been added to the MABA website, for members only.
- TOY Update – An audit of the TOY standings is underway, and adjustments are being made as necessary.
- President’s Award – There was discussion about reviving the President’s Award, presented to an outstanding volunteer. Traditionally the Board President has selected the recipient. Some felt that nominations should be submitted by the membership.
The meeting adjourned at 8:58 p.m.
Motion to adjourn: Chris Schriver; Second: Bill Jones; motion passed unanimously