BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES OCTOBER 5, 2022
Board Members Present
George DeMartz President
Greg Boggs Vice President
Shannon Turner Secretary
Lisa Dommes Past President
Board Members Absent
Bill Jones Treasurer
Norris “Syd” Sydnor
Call to Order
George DeMartz called the meeting to order at 7:21 p.m., noting the presence of a quorum.
Reading of Mission Statement
The Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association (MABA) is a social organization representing BBQ competitors, backyard cooks, BBQ judges and others united by love of America’s cuisine–BBQ!
MABA provides information to its members about BBQ and the BBQ industry, facilitates social events and contests and serves as the vehicle for camaraderie amongst BBQ enthusiasts in the Mid-Atlantic region.
George DeMartz read the Mission Statement.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes of the Sept. 14, 2022 Board Meeting will be agreed during the Nov. meeting.
- 2023 MABA State Cup Championships
- Primarily discussion surrounding NC and viability of Currituck: Should consider the State Cup ‘year’ be the calendar year as opposed to the KCBS competition year; Finals would be at Urbanna the following year.
- Need (1) Knife for the New York State Cup: Lisa will contact the person about the knife for NY
- BOD Discussion (VENUE): Let’s plan for Feb. 18th weekend
- The Maine
- Lodge in Manassas (Mac’s connection): Mac is going to provide pictures
- Need to Vote/Discuss/Book a venue
- Need to do a “lessons learned”
- Solicitation of Contest donations.
- Bonfire Storefront (www.bonfire.com)
- Need to launch the campaigns
- 2022 Sponsorship outreach
- Oklahoma Joes
- B&B – 1,000 Commitment to our ToY programs
- The Butcher Shoppe
- ShoreSmoke Seasonings
- Big Jim Hudgins
- Mac Talbert – Discussion
- GrillBillies BBQ sponsorship discussion
- Cotton Gin smoker – will be donating a Harvester model (raffle); would like to be a business sponsor as well
- UDS parts – sponsor top 3 in backyard; give custom build kit to top 3 winners; will only commit to 2022 but want 1st priority for overall backyard for a 2 year commitment starting next year; will provide small items/door prizes, etc.; would like to be a business sponsor as well
- Inkbird Thermometers: working with Travis on sponsorship; will provide small items for door prizes, etc.
- PK Grill will be raffled off – Greg will bring to banquet
- MABA Cup Rules Revision (date for teams to declare they are attending)
- Business member review / update on how we can steer members toward them; Chris would like to add a list of business members to website
- BOD member BIOS
- Clarification of Membership benefits
- Discussion on Call for Candidates – Lisa to start email blasts about soliciting candidates; Travis will start the social media blasts; nominations to run end of Oct. through Nov. 16ish
- Dues Discussion – 2023: Greg has started reviewing the data of members and their types of memberships
- George, Chris, Greg, Bill, Syd’s board terms are up this year
Committee Reports and Action Item Discussion
- Membership Committee – Greg
- Backyard Subcommittee, new BY applications coming in for 2022
- Steak Subcommittee
- Publications Committee – Chris
- Website/Technology Committee –
- Need to create a Backyard ToY standings page, old site is down; Correction dated Oct. 24: Backyard ToY webpage is up and is current
- Finance Committee – Bill
- Bylaws Committee – Greg
- Strategic Planning – Greg w/assistance from George (current Bylaws dictate this)
- Nominations Committee – Chris/Theresa
The meeting adjourned at 8:11 p.m.
Motion to adjourn: Theresa Bell; Second: Travis Murphy; motion passed unanimously
Shannon Turner, MABA Board Secretary